Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Monday, January 23, 2012

BLOG 2 Oscar Wilde


 Last semester, I took GDS 120 and part of the class was to have a blog were we posted "award-winning" graphic design.  We were tasked to go to the library and look up periodicals, magazines, and books to find these works of graphic design.  It was intriguing.  I loved looking up gems of graphic design.  Anyway, I found an article in a CMYK magazine about this book.  It was so interesting I had to order for myself.  The book is entitled Men of Letters & People of Substance by designer/illustrator Roberto de Vicq de Cumptich. I thought it would be a fun blog post since we just did our portrait.  The entire book consists of text images of important historical and literary figures.  I found this book captivating and the art that de Cumptich makes with text and a bit of color unbelievable!

This particular piece is an image of Oscar Wilde using the typeface Avalon.  The image that de Cumtich created of Oscar Wilde really capture the facial features of the man himself.  Of course, I've only seen pictures of him.  But the moody, dark, melancholy of Wilde as well as his softness and humanity can be seen in the text image as easily as a photograph.

This book is really amazing.  Definitely take a look at it if you get a chance.  

Source: De Vicq De Cumptich, Roberto, Men of Letters and People of Substance, David Godine Publisher, Boston, Massachusetts, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment