Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BLOG 3 Wicked


I found this in a book entitled, Typography Workbook [Samara].  The design was done be Cato Purnell Partners of Richmond, Australia. I love the combination of typefaces used and placed so skillfully to attract the viewer to the wicked moon - the scoop of ice cream. 
The ice cream is photographed from behind giving it the look and feel of the moon. 

I'm not sure I have ever seen the typeface before used for the title.  But I was immediately attracted to it.  It is an light-weight san-serif font.  The width of the letterforms seem varied and the designer has given the letters each their own character -most notably the crescent moon to dot the "I" on wicked.  This little detail links the word to the photography of the moon-shaped ice cream.  Also, extending the descender on the "K" past the baseline helps differentiate the logo by breaking the horizontal baseline thus making the work stand out further.  It appears the all of the text is embossed in gold. This brings thought of richness, opulence, decadence.  Under the product line, The flavor is set in a decorative script which greatly contrasts the title font.  It has sumptuous curves distinctly different from the main product labeling and further communicate the luxurious nature of the product. The dark character if the image and the unusual quality of the text give the overall feeling of uneasiness, sinfulness, self-indulgence.

Wow!  This must be some amazing ice cream!


Source:   Samara, Timothy, Typography Workbook, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, MA 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment