Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Monday, February 6, 2012

BLOG 4 Anni Kuan


I found this advertisement for a clothing line so clever and unique.  I love the way the thread and pins create tension and the words are loosely written between a set of tightly held thread.  I was immediately attracted to the easy style of it.  As I said there are some areas an tension and density in the advertisement there is really no contrast at all - except for the designers name ANNI KURN which is all caps, bold, boxed and in a different font. More on the fonts later...  Almost all of the negative space is created by the back-and-forth motion of the thread lines which are similar in size, shape, and presence.  Almost all of the elements are the same distance from the edge.  Also, all of the elements are linear with only slight changes in weight and size.  The result is a very quiet casual, laid-back expression, that is unpretentious, comfortable, and utterly charming.

Now about the fonts:  The designer ANNE KUAN is in all caps and boxed.  After a lot of comparing and contrasting various fonts, I am fairly certain that the font used is Colossus.  The other text font is Helvetica Neue Lt. Std. The dates and information for the fashion show are directly beneath Anni's name flush right.  To completely unify the advertisement, the locations of her storefronts are pinned beneath her show info flush right.  These are also in Helvetica Nueu Lt. Std. and they connect with a thread to her name to fully unify the design. 


Source: Top Creativity Gallery, CMYK Magazine Volume 45, November 2009, Aroune-Freigen Publishing Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment