Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Monday, February 27, 2012

BLOG 7 GÖDEL, ESCHER, BACH

Before you take on reading this blog post, I am giving you fair warning! It is long and I am passionate about the subject because changed the way I look at the world. It gave me HOPE. I truly believed that I had no artistic ability at all. After reading this book, as a sophomore in college (oh so many years ago), I had a new understanding of the interconnectedness of art, math, science, literature and music. Was it possible that I did have some artistic talent somewhere deep inside my being?  Maybe I could harness some of the my mathematical skills and apply them to art? Read on...

Okay, I am a total math geek. I have always loved math and after working in civil engineering for a number of years, I decided to go back to school and work on a PhD. in Statistics. How does that relate to graphic design, you ask? Well, it really does more than you can imagine. As I said when I was a sophomore in college, I read a book that rocked my world. It was entitled Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. In it, he discussed the connection between math, art and music - specifically the mathematician Kurt Gödel, artist M.C Escher, and musician J.S. Bach. It also tied in literary and historical findings. It borrows from author Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland) in that each chapter has a dialogue between historic characters like Achilles and the Tortoise. This book made me see how everything - even the most obscure mathematical findings - are interconnected in our world, through art, pattern, music, and ideas. Again, the relationship of the drawings of Escher and the mathematical idea of tessellations (that I was studying) made me look for patterns all around me. I was totally oblivious to these beautiful patterns before reading this book and studying mathematics.

Knowledge is doubling at an astounding rate - nearly every 18 months now according to many experts. Since the book was written in 1979, many of the ideas in the book have been expanded to the nth degree - chaos theory, fractals, fuzzy set theory, number theory - yet the connection remains unending - the connection between math, art, literature, and music. To me, this represents the connection between creativity and the quest for knowledge.  The connection between that makes it possible for everyone to find artistic, mathematical, and musical ability within themselves no matter how deeply they believe it to be buried.

Okay, now onto the book cover... The title of the book is definitely the first thing that catches the eye. The cream colored, slightly rounded, all-cap letters on the black background are striking because of the high contrast. I looked for a typeface but I couldn't find anything like it.  Does anyone know of anything similar?   The author's name is written in the same typeface and color but has a thin black stroke.  The rest of the text is in Helvetica of varying weights and sizes. I love the wood block that is carved such that projections show the letters G, E, and B.  It is in the style of the engineering orthographic projection.  The color scheme is black, cream, and gold (which doesn't scan well). Very clever. Very clean.

Source: Douglas R. Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, Basic Books, Inc., New York, NY 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment