Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

BLOG 8 Lou Reed



I was reminded of this poster after seeing our classmate Jason's blog post last week.  Admittedly, it's it low-tech version but still very powerful. The poster was created by Stefan Sagmeister to promote Lou Reed's 1996 CD, Set the Twilight Reeling.  I've included the CD cover, too. It's very dark which definitely reflects the mood of the CD. The poster is a black & white photo of Reed with hand-written lyrics of the title track of the CD printed across his face like graffiti. This creates a frank and unyielding directness which is typical for this period in Lou Reed's career. The important words and phrases of the song are capitalized and/or enlarged for emphasis; heart, sex, seems to cry, sun, retards, as the twilight sunburst gleams.  Yet some of the lyrics are hopeful and even tender: As the twilight sunburst gleam, as the chromium moon it set. As I lose all my regrets and set the twilight reeling. I accept the new found man and set the twilight reeling. These are the last words of the song after a huge transformation takes place; years of drugs and rehab that finally took root. Anyway, I love the idea of using the contours of the face to reflect the ideas of the person.  I think this is a very effective portrayal of Lou Reed using own image, soulful eyes, and thoughtful lyrics.


No comments:

Post a Comment