Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BLOG 9 MACBETH


This poster was created by Lippa Pearce for a production of Shakespeare's Macbeth.  I found this illustration compelling for three reasons; it was created completely of type, the type is formed from a non-traditional medium (a bloodlike substance); and the negative space is the means to the graphic force.  The use of splattered blood in the poster creates an immediate visceral reaction.  We have all seen it used before in horror movies and to depict murder.  But it also represents more serious and deathly issues such as war, crime, and genocide.  In this case, I feel like it was used judiciously to represent a serious crime - a crime that will haunt the audience not just give them a momentary chill and thrill.  Blood is the frame for the title in the Macbeth poster which makes it take on a distorted, obscured shape.  Thus, creating a greater significance.  Also, creating text from the negative space forces the viewer to decipher the composition which increases the interaction between viewer and the message.  

As far as the type goes, I thought it was Helvetica Bold Condensed but then I looked at the rounded edge on the E. But maybe that was an intentional imperfection?

Source:  Heller, Steven and Mirko Ilic, The Anatomy of Design, Rockport Publishers, Beverly, Massachusetts, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment