Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

BLOG 13 Cocaine



This an PSA put out by the Citizens Against Cocaine Abuse.  I find it haunting. I've shown the block of words below the composition.  The words in black on the white background say The average high induced by cocaine lasts thirty minutes. The white words on the black background say The average death induced by cocaine lasts slightly longer.

I think this composition is very well done.  The large canvas and small text force the reader to pay attention to the chilling words on the page.  The proportions of black (representing death) to white (representing the high) have the same unsettling effect. 

The ad is asymmetrically balanced with vast amounts of black negative space outweighing the white.  The text however balance each other perfectly.  I think the text is Calson.




Source: Stewart, Mary, Launching the Imagination, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment