Creativity and design have always been intriguing and somewhat intangible to me. Fall 2010, I took Graphic Design History which sparked my awareness and imagination. Our final blog post was to write about our inspiration. I've included a few paragraphs from this post at the bottom of the page. These ideas are as meaningful to me today as the day I wrote them.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

BLOG 14 Essential Mathematics for Games


This my husband's textbook that he uses at work. He's a computer scientist and he works at Volition as a game programmer.  He brought this home one day and I thought it was a well done cover for a textbook ― especially a computer-math textbook.
The scanned colors didn't come our very well.  The cover is more tan than the sickly green it appears to be and all of the adjustments I tried made it look more like puke.  Sorry.

So, what I like about the cover... I like the shape and placement of the E and M and how they relate to the angle and triangle. The line represents a 2-dimentional vector (direction [angle] and length [magnitude]). Game programming uses lots of 3-dimesional vector matrix processing linked with velocity and acceleration matrices. I really like the geometric font for the word GAMES and the cut-away A. I could live without the swirly thing but I think it is suppose to represent the 3-D aspect of programming.  All-in-all, I like the clean, angular, almost Swiss style of the cover.


Source: Van Verth, James M., Bishop, Lars M. Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications: A Programmer's Guide, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, CA 2004.


No comments:

Post a Comment